Puppy Love: Caring for Your New Puppy
Bringing home your new puppy is an exciting time. And while the excitement and exuberance of your new pup may be a bit exhausting at times, a soulful look from those adoring puppy eyes is often all it takes for your heart to melt and your pup’s mischief to be forgiven.
But if your new dog is going to start life off on the right paw, he or she will need to begin life with proper wellness care.
Within the first week of welcoming your new puppy into your home, you will need to schedule his or her first wellness exam. At this time your veterinarian will do a quick, hands-on, nose-to-tail examination of your pet and discuss what you can expect from the breed, what his or her nutritional needs will be, and the overall basics of caring for your new pet.
You will also set a vaccination and de-worming schedule for your pet (depending on his or her age and vaccination history) and discuss the proper timeframe for having your pet spayed or neutered.
While your pet’s early-days care schedule may vary a bit, you can usually anticipate the following landmarks within the first year:
- Vaccinations at 6, 9, 12, and 15 weeks
- Establishing a routine for heartworm, flea, and tick preventives
- De-worming—Be certain to schedule a de-worming for your pet at least four times between weeks 6–15, and again at 6 months and 1 year of age
- Having your pet spayed or neutered—Typically between 4–6 months of age
- Microchipping—So your pet can get home safe and sound, should he or she ever stray from home
- Behavior and obedience training
Staying on Track
Keeping your puppy faithful to his or her vaccination, de-worming, and preventives schedule is vital for your pet’s health and longevity. All too often we see new pet owners think they can get away with only having their new pets in for one round of vaccinations, and that he or she will be fine. But this is not true. Please keep up with your pet’s care schedule. Your new puppy’s life may depend on it.
As you explore the care your new pet will need throughout his or her lifetime, we hope you will explore our Pet Wellness Packages. These wellness plans will grow with your pet and his or her care needs throughout your pet’s life stages and will make veterinary care for your new puppy or kitten an affordable reality.
Petland Puppy Partnership Program
All Creatures Animal Hospital is proud to be a pet health partner in the Dunwoody Petland Puppy Partnership Program. This puppy care program is unique to the Dunwoody Petland location and applies to all puppies adopted from the Dunwoody Petland location.
Here’s how it works:
- Within the first four (4) business days after adoption, bring your new puppy into All Creatures Animal Hospital for a wellness exam (including diagnostic testing) to validate Petland’s 21-day warranty.
- If our veterinarians find your pet to be in ill health (ear infections, parasites, kennel cough, etc.), we will treat your pet’s condition at no charge to you.
- Weekly health check by the vets at All Creatures Animal Hospital throughout your pet’s 21-day warranty.
- One (1) free dose of Revolution™ parasite preventive.
- You will be responsible for covering the cost of any vaccinations your pet needs or is given at his or her appointment.
- You will also be responsible for bringing in a fecal sample for your pet’s diagnostic screenings.
We are excited to partner with the Dunwoody Petland to bring you and your pet the early-days care you both deserve. We hope that you will continue to bring your new puppy to All Creatures Animal Hospital for care, and look forward to being your veterinarian for years to come.
If you have any other questions about your puppy’s early-days care or our Petland Puppy Partnership Program, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Congratulations on your new puppy! With this new and exciting experience come many questions, such as: What further medical care is needed? How do I potty train? How do I socialize my pet? What are my pet’s nutritional needs? Lucky for you, All Creatures Animal Hospital is now offering a new class in order to answer precisely these questions. Our Puppy Pre-K program is a how-to for owners of puppies up to 16 weeks of age, and is held every Saturday from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m..
Class is lead by one of our very own Registered Veterinary Technicians, Colleen Roman. Colleen has been doing “puppy talks” for several years now and has perfected the art of teaching all you need to know about your puppy in a 1-hour session.
Come join us with your new best friend for a fun and educational afternoon complete with puppy playtime, informative conversation, and answers to all of your questions about veterinary medicine, puppy behavior, socialization, nutrition, and grooming!